Boys Varsity Football · Varsity Football defeats Westfield 11-7 on Senior Night

7 Westfield High School
11 Fishers High School
Away   Home
Away Home
Westfield High School vs Fishers High School
7 11
1 -   -
2 -   -
3 7   5
4 -   6

No scoring

No scoring

W – Kyle Pepiot 20 yd pass from Camden Simons (Alex Bales kick)
F – Jack Phillips 25 yard field goal
F – Safety

F – Dylan Scally 25 yd run (Conversion fails)

The Fishers Tigers hosted the Westfield Shamrocks in an HCC battle as the Tigers recognized the class of 2018 on Senior Night. Defense was the story of the first half as the Tigers forced an early punt which Josh Jackson returned to midfield to give the Tigers good early field position. The offense couldn’t get going and had to punt right back to the Rocks. On the next possession, senior Jason Lassic picked off Rocks quarterback Camden Simons for the first turnover of the night. Fishers moved the ball into Rocks territory before Owen McGraw broke through the line for a big sack to force a turnover on downs.

In the second quarter, both teams gained yardage, but neither team was able to get into the red zone. Both teams settled for field goal attempts but Alex Bales 52 yard attempt was partially blocked by Lassic as the kick fell well short. The Tigers eventually answered with their own attempt, but Jack Phillips 47 yard attempt fell short to send the teams into the locker rooms with a scoreless tie.

Westfield found the end zone first midway through the 3rd quarter. Led by a series of quick plays, Simons found Kyle Pepiot for a 20 yard touchdown pass to take a 7-0 lead. The Tigers answered right back including a 57 yard pass from Lucas Prewitt to Collin Statz to get the Tigers into the red zone. Fishers would have to settle for a 25 yard field goal by Phillips to get on the board. On the next Tigers possession, Statz made a leaping catch over the defender, but Fishers was eventually forced to punt. Seth Dunnuck was able to hustle and down Phillips’ punt on the 6 inch line. The second snap went over Simons head for a safety for the Tigers to trim the lead to 7-5 at the end of the 3rd quarter.

The Tigers offense was finally able to complete a drive as Dylan Scally scampered in from 25 yards out on 3rd down to take the lead 11-7 in favor of Fishers midway through the 4th quarter. The quick hitting Rocks offense again moved down the field but the Tigers defense stepped up huge to forced a turnover on downs with just under 1 minute left in the game.Eric Thomas and Georffrey Brown both had tackles on 3rd and 4th down to limit any gain.The Tigers ran 3 times and Westfield used all three timeouts to try to save as much clock as possible. With less than 30 seconds, the Rocks put together a drive, but the Tigers defense was able to step up one last time and made important tackles and knock down a pass at the end of the game.