Boys Varsity Baseball · Tigers Split DH with Franklin Central

8 Fishers High School
5 Franklin Central High School
Away   Home
Away Home
Fishers High School vs Franklin Central High School
8 5
1 -   -
2 1   -
3 4   1
4 -   -
5 1   3
6 2   1
7 -   -
R 8   5
H 7   6
E 3   3

The Fishers Tigers Varsity Baseball team (13-13/6-6) let one slip through their grasp in Game 1 of a doubleheader Friday night vs. Franklin Central Flashes, but rebounded in Game 2 to earn the HCC Series Split.

In Game 1, the Tigers took a 3-2 lead into the 7th inning and recorded the first 2 outs in the inning without a base runner. The 3rd batter reached on a throwing error, which opened the door for the Flashes to make a comeback. The next Flashes batter singled to left field. Charlie Walker made a great play on the ball and throw into the infield. Nick Lukac relayed the throw to 3rd and appeared to have ended the game with the last out at 3rd, but the ball was dropped on the tag to once again keep the inning alive for the Flashes. After a walk loaded the bases, Lukac made a diving play behind 2nd base, but was unable to reach 2nd base in time for the force out, and then hurried his throw to 1st base. The throw ended up in the Tiger dugout. Once the runners were awarded their bases, the Tigers found themselves down 4-3, which would be the final score.

The Tigers scored 2 in the 1st inning. Grant Whetsel scored the first run as he stole home on the back end of Kiel Brenczewski’s steal of 2nd. Daniel Owens followed with an RBI single to score Brenczewski. The Tigers added their 3rd run in the 3rd on an RBI groundout by Brenczewski scoring Whetsel who had singled to leadoff the inning. Owens and Whetsel both had a multi-hit game for the Tigers. One of Owens’ 2 hits was a double.

Tristan Baker (3-2) pitched well again, but suffered the complete game loss. Baker allowed 2 earned runs on 10 hits, while striking out 7 and walking 2. Baker retired 8 in a row from the 2nd to the 4th without the ball leaving the infield, including 4 strikeouts during that stretch.

The Tigers were visitors in Game 2, as the game was a make-up from Thursday’s rainout at Franklin Central. The Tigers jumped out to an early 5-0 lead and never looked back. JJ Woolwine started the scoring with a bases loaded walk in the 2nd. In the 3rd inning, Kiel Brenczewski was walked to leadoff the inning in front of Daniel Owens being hit by a pitch. With runners on 1st and 2nd, JP Preston laid down a perfect bunt. Courtesy runner Jeffrey Simmons and Owens were able to score after an error on the throw to 1st. With 2 outs in the 3rd, Woolwine delivered a 2-run double to score Preston and Kaid Muth.

The Tigers added another run in the 5th on Woolwine’s RBI single scoring Muth who had double to leadoff the inning. Brenczewski rounded out the scoring with a monstrous 2-run homerun to left field in the 6th. The homerun was Brenczewski’s 4th of the season.

Woolwine led the Tigers with 2 hits and 4 RBI. Woolwine was on base all for plate appearances and added a double for one of his 2 hits. Muth and Dom Oliverio both contributed doubles for the Tigers, and Muth scored 3 runs.

Jon Vore (3-2) pitched 3 innings of 2-hit baseball and did not allow an earned run, while striking out 3. Jack Minns pitch well in 1+ innings of relief. Daniel Owens came on and worked out of a bases loaded jam in his 1 inning of relief. Owens had 2 strikeouts. Cory Wolter earned his 1st save of the season pitching the final 2 innings and did not allow an earned run.

The Tigers return to action on Monday when they host #5 Columbus North at 6pm.